Sunday, August 18, 2013

All in a day's work


I found this online the other day. It is supposedly the daily schedule of Benjamin Franklin, who in my opinion was a certified bad ass. It points to one of most underrated (at least in the "magical" community) aspects of getting things accomplished; Time Management. This is a particular skill that I have lacked for some time. One of my good friends is excellent at it, and he accomplishes a lot in one day's time. It almost seems magical how much some people can get done, you would swear that they had a doppelganger. I personally don't do well with structure. But it works, and it's necessary.  I am not the one to start giving advise on how work this out (yet), but I highly recommend that you take stock of your own habits and make adjustments where you can. 

I don't foresee myself every having that structured of a day. I am working on adding a bit time management, and for me the best time for me to do it is in the morning. I dig entrepreneur Noah Kagan and some of the products put out on his website AppSumo. I came across an interview with him and Tim Ferris, where Noah mentioned what he calls G.E.B.Y (Gratitude, Exercise, Breakfast, You). The concept is that you start your day first by acknowledging 3 things that you are grateful for, engage in some form of exercise, eat breakfast, and then do one thing that is just for yourself. The "you" part of this equation seems a bit vague, but I am going to experiment with it, and see what kind of results that I get. Oddly enough, it seems to go right along with numbers 5-7 of Franklin's list. Of course, Franklin's is a lot more spartan. 

Something interesting on Franklin's morning regimen is to "address Powerful Goodness".  As a sorcerer, you probably already have something spiritual, in your daily routine (don't you?), if not it is also something to consider.I found this prayer that I feel he probably recited everyday. I am just going to leave you with it, because it could be a whole blog post by itself. 

“O powerful goodness! Bountiful Father! Merciful Guide! Increase in me that wisdom which discovers my truest interest. Strengthen my resolution to perform what that wisdom dictates. Accept my kind offices to thy other children as the only return in my power for thy continual favours to me. ” 



No comments: